Ah, the innocence of children

Alas, where has all our innocence gone?
            
While I sat in the reception area
              of my doctor's office, a woman rolled  an elderly man
              in a wheelchair into the room.  As she went
              to the receptionist's desk, the man sat there, alone
              and silent. Just as I was thinking I should make
              small talk with him, a little boy slipped off
              his mother's lap and  walked over to
              the wheelchair.  Placing his hand on the
              man's, he said, I know how you feel.  My
              mom makes me ride in the stroller too..'

*****

As I was nursing
              my baby, my cousin's six-year-old
              daughter, Krissy, came into the room.
              Never having seen anyone breast feed
              before, she was intrigued and full of all
              kinds of questions about what I was doing.
               After mulling over my answers, she remarked,
              'My mom has some of those, but I don't think she knows
              how to use them..'

*****

Out bicycling
              one day with my eight-year-old
              granddaughter, Carolyn, I got a  little
              wistful. 'In ten years,' I said, 'you'll want
              to  be with your friends and you won't go
              walking, biking, and  swimming with me like you do
              now. Carolyn shrugged.  'In ten years you'll be
              too old to do all those things  anyway.'

******

Working as a pediatric
              nurse, I had the difficult assignment
              of giving immunization shots to  children..
              One day, I entered the examining room to give
              four-year-old Lizzie her needle. 'No, no, no!' she
              screamed.  'Lizzie,' scolded her mother, 'that's
              not polite behavior.'  With that, the girl
              yelled even  louder, 'No, thank you!  No, thank
              you!

******

On the way back from a Cub
              Scout meeting, my grandson innocently said to my son,
              'Dad, I know babies come from mommies' tummies, but
              how do they get there in the first place?'  After my
              son hemmed and hawed awhile,  my grandson finally
              spoke up in disgust, 'You don't have to make
              up something, Dad.  It's okay if you don't
              know the answer.'

*****

Just before I
              was deployed to Iraq , I sat my eight-year-old
              son down and broke the news to him.  'I'm
              going to be away for a long time,' I told
              him.  'I'm going to Iraq .'   'Why?' he
              asked. 'Don't you know there's a war going
              on  over there?'

*****

Paul Newman
              founded the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp for
              children stricken with cancer, AIDS, and blood
              diseases. One afternoon, he and is wife,
              Joanne Woodward, stopped by to have lunch with
              the kids.  A counselor at a nearby
              table, suspecting the young patients
              wouldn't know Newman was a famous movie star,
              explained, That's the man who made this camp
              possible. Maybe you've seen his picture on
              his salad dressing bottle?'  Blank
              stares.'Well, you've probably seen his face on
              his lemonade carton.'  An eight-year-old girl
              perked  up.  'How long was he missing?'

*****


God's  Problem Now
:

His wife's graveside
              service was just barely finished, when  there was
              a massive clap of thunder, followed by a tremendous
              bolt of lightning, accompanied by even more thunder
              rumbling in the distance.  The little, old man
              looked at the  pastor and calmly said,
              'Well, she's there.

*****



May happiness smile on you.

Related Posts



No comments:

Popular Posts